Today I am writing you to share a potential opportunity for your students to study abroad at Teikyo University in April, 2023.
Please read below for details and feel free to spread the word!
(Japanese Language Program Coordinator/PR)
The Japan Foundation, Los Angeles
5700 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 100
Los Angeles, CA 90036
Tel: 323-761-7510, ext. 116
*The brand new Department of Global Japanese Studies at Teikyo University in Japan will start in April, 2022.
Read below about a potential opportunity for your Japanese language students the following year in April, 2023!*
1. Outline of the Department
* In April 2022, the Department of Global Japanese Studies in the Faculty of Foreign Studies will open to domestic Japanese and international students, with an educational policy based on the mutual perspectives of both “Japan in the world” as well as “the world in Japan”.
* Student capacity for this department will be 150 students.
* For details about the new department, please view their website: https://www.teikyo-u.ac.jp/
* Of the 50 international students the department will accept, 15 of them will be selected based on special recommendations from schools all over the world (except China, Korea and Taiwan, where Chinese characters are used).
* One of the department’s goals for its international students will be for them to obtain their JLPT N1 certification upon graduation.
2. Language requirements
* Students should have a Japanese language proficiency of N3 or higher at the time of admission. For students currently at the N4 level, a letter of recommendation from their Japanese language teacher should be attached to the application. Students who plan to take and pass the JLPT N3 in July 2022 or December 2022 are eligible to apply.
* International students will also be required to have at least one of the following:
-TOEFL iBT: 60 or above
-IELTS: 4.5 or above
-TOEIC L&R: 700 or above
(Not required for those who speak English natively)
* There is a special scholarship designed specifically for the new department. This is because we would like to have students from as many different countries as possible, in order to truly achieve the cultural diversity for which we strive in the new department.
* Students who are chosen for the department will receive the special scholarship and will be exempt from tuition and dormitory fees in their first and second years. In their third and fourth years, students on scholarship will be exempt from half of the tuition fees and will receive substantial scholarships based on their academic performance during their first two years, just as is the case in other departments.
4. Admission Schedule
Please let us know by December 5, 2021 whether there is a student in your school who would like to come and study in the new department (for all four years) beginning in April, 2023, and who would meet our Japanese language proficiency requirements.
For those interested, please write to (Ms.) Mariko Oka-Fukuroi (firstname.lastname@example.org<mailto:mari
* In late December, 2021, we will prepare a list of 15 schools worldwide for recommendation to our department committee.
* In mid-January, the admissions office at the university will send official notices and sets of documents in English to each school’s principal via both email and postal mail.
* The application deadline will be the end of February, 2022. The application should be sent from your school’s principal via both email and postal mail.
* Online interviews, both in Japanese and English, with each candidate will be scheduled prior to the end of March.
* The informal admission letter will be sent to the principal via both email and postal mail in April, 2022.
* The official admission letter will be sent in November, 2022.