To apply and for more info visit: http://www.jaswdc.org/tanaka-green-scholarship/
Application deadline: July 31, 2018.
In 2014 JASW established the Tanaka and Green Academic Scholarships to support short-term academic study (one semester or one academic year) at colleges and universities in Japan. The scholarships are made possible thanks to the Society’s H. William and Lily Tanaka Scholarship Endowment and the Marshal and Lispenard Green Educational Endowment.
The Society will give up to $5,000 for one academic year and up to $4,000 for one academic semester. The scholarship may be used for any combination of tuition and other academic fees, room and board, travel and transportation (including travel within Japan), and other approved expenses.
The Tanaka and Green Scholarship Committee is pleased to announce the opening of the Tanaka and Green Scholarship for the 2018-2019 academic year. Applications will be accepted from June 1-July 31.
Requirements for Applicants
- Must be enrolled full-time in an undergraduate or graduate school in the United States
- Must give proof of acceptance at a college or university in Japan as a full-time foreign exchange student for either one semester or one academic year
- Must give proof that the program in Japan is an approved student exchange program of the applicant’s home college or university in the US
- Must intend to return to the college or university in the United States
- May be majors in any subject, but must demonstrate that they have taken or plan to take academic courses related to Japan, whether in the US or at the Japan college or university
- Must be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States
Priorities and Preferences for Reviewing and Screening Applications
In reviewing applications, the JASWDC Scholarship Committee will give priority and preference to applicants who can demonstrate a combination of any of the following factors:
- Are legal residents of the District of Columbia, Maryland, or Virginia (i.e., you may be studying at a college or university anywhere in the US, but your home/parents’ home is in DC, MD, VA)
- Are members or are children of members of the Japan-America Society of Washington DC
- Have interned with the Japan-America Society of Washington DC
- Have volunteered with the Japan-America Society of Washington DC
- Have participated in the National Japan Bowl®
- Have studied and/or are currently studying the Japanese language
- Have studied and/or are currently taking academic courses on Japanese history, culture, society, politics, arts, literature, etc.
- Have participated in extra-curricular activities related to Japan outside the academic classroom (for example, ikebana, tea ceremony, or Japanese cooking lessons; Japanese martial arts; Japan culture clubs, etc.)
Application Procedure for 2018-2019
Applicants should first fill out the online application form here and submit the following documents by email to firstname.lastname@example.org before the deadline of July 31, 2018. All documents should be included as attachments in the same email. The email subject line should say “Scholarship Application” and also include the applicant’s full name.
JASWDC will not follow up if an application is incomplete. Failure to submit all required documents, or to fully complete the application, will render the applicant ineligible.
A complete EMAIL application includes the following three documents:
- The completed application form in pdf, which is attached to the confirmation email that will be sent to the applicant after the submission of the application. The name of the pdf file should say “Scholarship Application” and also include the applicant’s full name.
- (A) Proof of acceptance at a college or university in Japan and (B) certification that the proposed academic study is an official student exchange program of the college or university in the US. This can be a letter or notice from either the US home college or university or the Japanese college or university.
- School transcripts for the past academic year
In addition to the three attachments, a recommendation form must be filled out by a professor or advisor at a student’s college or university in the US. The recommendation form will be sent to the recommender’s email address the applicant provides in the application.
Selection and Announcement
The Scholarship Committee will review all applications in accordance with the requirements, priorities, and preferences listed above. JASWDC will inform scholarship awardees by August 15, 2018.
Payment will be made in two allotments. An initial payment of up to $3,000 (one semester) or $4,000 (one academic year) will be made before the academic study in Japan commences, and a second payment of $1,000 will be made after the study in Japan is over and the required report has been submitted to JASWDC. The required report (1-2 pages) should describe the student’s experience in Japan, both academic and non-academic, and how that experience has affected their thinking and knowledge about Japan and their plans for the future.
Any questions about the JASWDC Tanaka and Green Scholarships Program should be submitted in writing to JASWDC at email@example.com for response by the Scholarship Committee. Please do not call.