Scholarships for JET Alumni
- American University College of Education – American University’s School of Education plans to offer a JET scholarship for graduate study. The programs eligible for this scholarship are designed to address the needs of educators in public schools with commitments to social responsibility and to the academic and social-emotional development of each region’s children. Scholarship offers include on-campus and online programs within AU’s School of Education. This partnership offers a 29% off tuition scholarship. Details available at this link.
- Carnegie Mellon Heinz College – Carnegie Mellon University, Heinz College, through its partnership with JETAA, offers a scholarship for JET alumni that guarantees 30% off tuition with the possibility of additional support for qualifying students in their master’s degree programs in Information Systems and Management, Public Policy and Management, and Arts & Entertainment Industry Management.
- Middlebury Institute of International Studies (Monterey, CA) – Offers programs in topics including International Policy Studies, Translation & Interpretation, Language Teacher Education and International Business. MIIS offers a guranteed $10,000 per year scholarship to JET alumni. Details are available at https://www.middlebury.edu/institute/admissions/scholarships/partners/jet.
- Middlebury Language Schools – JET Program alumni are eligible to receive up to $22,745 need-based financial aid to attend the Master of Arts in Japanese which includes two 6-week summers in Middlebury, Vermont and two 15-week semesters online.
- Showa Women’s University (Coed) (Japan) – All foreign students receive a 30% reduction in tuition. In addition, scholarships are offered to those who satisfy our grade and attendance requirements. Showa also offers JET alumni a special work-study program in which they receive scholarships which fully cover tuition, fees, and housing support in return for part-time work at the university.
- School for International Training (SIT) (Battleboro, VT) – Offers programs in International Education, Language and Culture, NGOs and Civil Society, Peace and Conflict Transformation, Socially Responsible Management, Sustainable Development and Teacher Preparation. SIT now offers a scholarship covering 30% of tuition costs for eligible current and former JETs. They also have a special “low-residency” MA in TESOL program for current JETs, and will waive the application fee for all applicants. See their website for details: https://graduate.sit.edu/academics/affiliations/jet-programme/
- Syracuse University Maxwell School – The Maxwell PAIA – JET Alumni Scholarship covers at least 30% of the tuition costs of a single- or dual-degree course of study in Maxwell’s Master of Public Administration or Master of Arts in International Relations on-campus programs. The offer includes the option to defer admission for one year and to be considered for further merit-based aid based on the strength of the application for admission
- Temple University Japan – Temple offers a guaranteed $10,000 annual scholarships for JET alumni towards MIIS master’s programs. As part of the ‘Friends of TUJ Program’, Temple University Japan also offers JET alumni a 10% discount on the tuition fees for their TUJ Continuing Education Program. This applies to tuition fees for any courses, workshop, or seminar. The Master of Business Administration Program specifically has 500,000 Yen Scholarships available to JET Programme alumni. JET applicants also receive a waiver for the 10,500 Yen TUJ one time entrance fee. For questions, email the AJET Education Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Willamette University – Thanks to a partnership with AJET, JET Program alumni are eligible to receive a minimum $5,000 scholarship if they choose to pursue an MBA in Willamette’s Early Career and Career Change MBA Program. Willamette University’s MBA Programs are specifically designed to prepare students for their first professional career position, career change, or advancement. Simply indicate on your application, and in your admissions interview that you are JET alumni. List of Willamette Partnerships here.
Other Graduate Schools with Scholarships (not JET specific)
- Kyoto University of Advanced Science – KUAS engineering programs are taught entirely in English and supplemented with intensive Japanese language courses. Master’s and doctoral program students at KUAS effectively “double major” in engineering and Japanese. A JET alum with a background in STEM and some pre-existing knowledge of Japanese can, with sufficient effort, emerge from these programs as an engineer with the technical, professional, cultural, and linguistic fluency that major Japanese tech companies demand.
Lists of Scholarships, Fellowships, and Grants
- AAS List of Grants and Fellowships Sponsored by non-AAS Organizations
- Association for Asian Studies (AAS) Grant Programs
- AJET Special Offers
- AJET Graduate School Opportunities, Scholarships, and Fellowships
- Scholarships for International Students in Japan 2018-2019
- Toshizo Watanabe Endowed Scholarship Fund