The Youth & Outreach Program Coordinator is a full time position responsible for the creation and implementation of educational programming for children (K-12) activities and off-site outreach programs (children and adults). This includes children’s activities at our annual festivals, special events, teacher development workshops, Family Fun Days, and our Summer Tour Plus program. The position requires a creative, dynamic and hands-on individual. The person must be able to work occasional weekends and evening events.
Position Reports to: Curator of Education
Specific Responsibilities and Duties:
- Create and implement museum educational programs for children and families.
- Coordinate and implement all necessary aspects of programs to ensure success and efficiency (pre-, day-of, and post-program) of set-up and breakdown.
- Develop, implement, and manage outreach programs for both students and adults.
- Develop, create, and coordinate children’s (K-12) activities at our annual festivals and special event days, including the supervision of volunteers and managing setup and cleanup.
- Develop, implement, and oversee the Summer Tour Plus (STP) program activities.
- Supervise daily operations of STP, which also includes training and scheduling of interns and high school volunteers for the STP program.
- Work with Education Staff in developing, creating, preparing and implementing programs for public and private school collaborations and teacher development workshops.
- Manage the organization and inventory of the Education Department’s program supplies and replacement of various educational materials when necessary.
- Work in conjunction with education staff to develop educational teaching materials and tour program contents
- Keep accurate monthly attendance and fiscal reports for all children’s programs, STP program, school collaborations, and outreach programs.
- And other duties as specified
Minimum Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- A Bachelor’s degree in education, Japanese studies, Asian studies, or related field preferred.
- Must have knowledge of Japanese language and culture. Experience living or working in Japan a plus.
- Minimum 2 years experience in teaching and working with children (K-12)
- Able to work with people of all ages
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally, orally and in writing
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees, external clients, and the public
- A self-starter with the ability to work independently and collaboratively as a team player
- Strong attention to detail and able to work in a fast-pace environment
- Have personal transportation required for outreach programs
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Point, Publisher)
- Required to work occasional evenings and weekend events
- Strong organizational and computer skills
- Experience working in a museum or cultural institution a plus
- Experience with audio/visual presentation
Please send cover letter and resume to: Wendy Lo at email@example.com
Submission deadline: until position is filled
No phone calls, no walk ins.