Publicity Coordinator – The Japan Information & Culture Center/JICC (Washington DC)
The Japan Information & Culture Center (JICC), Embassy of Japan, is seeking a highly motivated, team-oriented individual for the position of Publicity Coordinator. The main responsibilities of this position are to disseminate Japanese culture/information to the general public, as well as to promote JICC and Embassy events through press outreach, social media, public-facing events, the JICC’s website and other digital and traditional means. The position also performs various office support functions, including managing the JICC’s social media accounts, and drafting and editing documents. Please see below for a detailed listing of responsibilities.
The Embassy offers group health insurance coverage, paid vacation, and sick leave. Working hours are 9 AM – 5 PM, Monday through Friday with weeknight and/or weekend events several times a month (paid overtime). Salary is commensurate with experience. The minimum basic monthly salary for this position is $3500.
Please note: Candidate must be a U.S. citizen or a U.S. green card holder. Screening will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Only successful candidates will be contacted. All candidates will be subject to background checks and security clearance.
- Disseminating information about Japanese culture and JICC/Embassy events through press outreach, social media, the JICC’s website, and other digital and traditional means in close collaboration with internal and external stakeholders.
- Social media management: Day-to-day management of the JICC’s 200k+ follower social media accounts (Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube), including planning, content creation and performance assessment.
- Internal coordination: Working closely with the Embassy’s communications team members on collaboration and cross promotion between Embassy and JICC accounts.
- Press outreach: Communicating with press, creating and distributing press releases in collaboration with diplomats and external stakeholders.
- Content creation: Assisting with the design of digital media, including e-mail campaigns, flyers, advertisements, and other materials for public consumption.
- Event planning and support: Working on JICC/Embassy events as well as on co-hosted events that require working closely with partner organizations such as professional sports teams, cultural institutions, media organizations, and National Cherry Blossom Festival related organizations.
- Monitoring and reporting on news coverage related to Japan, Japanese culture and JICC events.
- Responding to public inquiries.
- Assisting diplomats in the Public Affairs Section with administrative tasks, writing, research, and drafting speeches as necessary.
- Supporting other staff with JICC/Embassy events and other office tasks.
- Other responsibilities as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field
- Passion for communications and deep appreciation of Japanese culture
- Open-mindedness and strong team-working skills
- Aspirational self-starter
- Professional use of social media
- Content creation skills (social media posts, flyers, email campaigns)
- Familiarity with analytics and reporting methods
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, and general design principles
- Flexibility and resourcefulness; ability to multitask, follow directions and take initiative
- Japanese Language Proficiency
- Spanish Language Proficiency
- Familiarity with web design & development (HTML, CSS, Java, Bootstrap, etc.)
- Knowledge of accessible web design
- Experience living or working in Japan
- Familiarity with analytics tools such as Iconosquare, Hootsuite and Canva
- Experience with photography and photo/video editing
How to apply:
- Email your resume, cover letter, and a copy of your university transcript(s) (need not be official) in PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org by June 24th.
Please note in the subject line of your e-mail “Publicity Coordinator”.
Please no phone calls. Due to the high volume of resumes we receive, we cannot guarantee consideration of your application if the instructions for submission are not properly followed.
To receive news & updates please enter your info below
To become a member click here