Thank you to Monica Yuki for sharing this job listing with us!
Job Title: Proofreader
Organization: Marvel Entertainment
Location: New York
The Proofreader will review and copyedit materials across Marvel Publishing, including comic books, prose novels, solicit text, and cover copy. The Proofreader will mark documents for spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors. Work may be digital or print. Marvel is seeking enthusiastic, driven employees. Résumés should highlight proofreading experience and skills. Cover letters are strongly preferred. Work will be full-time, a mix of on-site and remote.
- Read proofs from all Marvel Publishing departments including (but not limited to) single-issue comics, handbooks, trade collections, advertisements, dust jackets, and covers
- Mark grammatical or typographical errors using standardized code
- Communicate with Editorial staff and traffic copy
- Knowledge of proofreading/copyediting marks
- Ability to proof in print and on computer
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat
- Knowledge of Chicago Manual of Style strongly preferred
- Knowledge of the unique challenges of the comic book format, awareness of the comic book industry, and familiarity with Marvel’s characters a plus
- Bachelor’s degree required