If you’ve got a passion for continuous learning on global issues and want to be part of a small organization that is mission-focused and active in the community, we’re hiring. The World Affairs Council, celebrating its 70th anniversary in 2021, has an opening for a program officer in Community Programs to create and deliver discussions on international themes for our members and the wider public.
We’re looking for a detail-oriented team member who will successfully plan, promote, and execute multiple virtual events each month while preparing for a return to in-person programming when conditions permit. You’ll report directly to the President and CEO, supporting her in her varied role at events and will work to create strong relationships with Council members, attendees, and community partners.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, the World Affairs Council’s operations are entirely remote. We’re planning on returning to the office in September but when we’ll return to in-person programming remains unclear, so you’ve got to be okay with some ambiguity and be nimble as we create a “new normal” for our work.
At the World Affairs Council, you’ll be part of a small team that consistently delivers outstanding results—and while everyone has clear responsibilities and roles, everyone also pitches in when needed, whether on programs or to sustain the work of the Council overall.
Program Development – crafting conversations on global issues
- Develop topics and speaker suggestions for all Community Programs (CP) and Fellows events.
- Manage outside requests for events and shape these events to best suit the goals of the Council.
Program Management – assuring flawless and lively conversations
- In cooperation with the CP team, oversee Zoom coordination, equipment needs, venue (when in-person) and all other logistics related to successful CP events.
- Prepare recommended readings and notes to distribute to the Fellows cohort before and after each meeting. (More information on the Fellows program available here.)
- Maintain internal and external events calendars (WordPress) and work with colleagues to ensure all events are appropriately staffed.
- Support senior staff by providing moderator preparation as needed as well as a detailed run-of-show and attendee list.
- Manage post-event wrap-up and evaluation.
External Relations – expanding our brand
- Prepare marketing and outreach plans for each event through email (MailChimp) and social media (Facebook, Twitter).
- Prepare occasional small grant requests for sponsored events.
- Represent the World Affairs Council at meetings with stakeholders and vendors as required.
- Assist senior staff and External Relations team in larger efforts to extend Council platform and increase membership base.
- Consistently utilize Salesforce CRM, ensuring all event information is up-to-date and important relationships are tracked.
- Hire and supervise interns and ensure they have access to meaningful projects and professional development opportunities.