Legacy International seeks a dynamic, people-oriented person to join our team, empowering young professionals from the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) to pursue their visions as entrepreneurs and in civil society development. We are looking for an experienced professional with proven project management skills, knowledge about the MENA region and international exchange experience, who cares deeply about community development for the next generation of leaders.
Our Company. Our Mission.
Legacy International equips emerging leaders to transform their values and vision into sustainable success. Our programs and services help people of all ages form collaborative teams around shared values, develop entrepreneurial mindsets and business models, promote social responsibility, and lead to peaceful sustainable communities.
Legacy International has a successful 40+ year track record delivering culturally attuned, high quality training programs with ongoing coaching and mentoring. Since 1979, projects and initiatives have involved professionals, community leaders, and youths from 110 countries. Legacy is funded by multiple federal and private grants, fee-for-service income, gifts and donations. Significant support comes from the U.S. Department of State. We are headquartered in Bedford, Virginia with additional employees working in Washington, DC and Richmond, Virginia.
Professional Fellows Program (PFP) for Economic Empowerment In The Middle East And North Africa is a two-way exchange program sponsored by the U.S. Department Of State and designed to promote mutual understanding, enhance leadership and professional skills, and build lasting, sustainable partnerships between mid-level emerging leaders committed to strengthening their communities through social entrepreneurship and workforce development.
In 2021 Legacy will bring up to 76+ professional fellows from Algeria, Egypt, Lebanon, Morocco, and Tunisia to the U.S. for two, 6-week long fellowship programs. In addition, 28 Americans (in five outbound delegations) travel to the MENA region.
The core of each 6-week U.S. in-bound program is a month-long fellowship placement in an American organization, capped off by a week at the Professional Fellows Congress in Washington DC.
Workload, Start Date & Location
This full-time position begins in October or November, 2020.
Work Location: Work will be both remote and in-person in Legacy’s Washington, DC office, along side Legacy’s PFP Director and others on the team. Periodic travel to our Bedford, Virginia headquarters and travel with participants during program delivery is required.
(During program delivery, time commitment typically includes some evenings and weekends. Some regional and international travel required.)
As Program Manager, this person plays a central role on the PFP team, working closely with the Program Director to implement PFP’s strategic plan with a focus on contract management and program data and reporting.
- Manage five international subaward contacts and up to five U.S. subaward contacts.
- Manage required reporting schedules and curate content for program report drafts.
- Support the development of program training materials.
- Support budget management
- Collect, organize & format participant data for program customization.
- Support and implement ongoing program monitoring and evaluation tools. Compile evaluation data and comments. Summarize, with recommendations for follow-on on segment, reunion, and future programs.
- Support staff in the program set-up to include arranging meetings, site visits, and service projects.
- Document program highlights and challenges. Develop content to share on social media, share with the U.S. Embassy, and write and provide regular program updates and reports to the U.S. Embassy.
Work collaboratively with PFP’s additional staff members who focus on overall logistics and fellowship placements. In addition, contribute to the vetting and orientation interns and other possible short-term staff.
During program delivery, when a MENA cohort is in the U.S., the Program Manager plays a central role in group management and support, and /or delivering segments of training (orientation, project planning, etc.).
This person may also assist in monitoring and reporting on follow-on projects in the five countries, leading outbound delegations to one or more of the countries, and assisting in conducting selection interviews (virtually or in-country).
- Previous experience (3 or more years) managing exchange programs or similar complex projects involving multiple cross-cultural dimensions and stakeholders.
- Proven high level, culturally sensitive communications, and interpersonal skills – written and verbal. (This person will work both internally with Legacy colleagues and externally with others from diverse populations and communities, as well as U.S. government officials.)
- Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university. Graduate level degree preferred. (May possess equivalent post-secondary coursework, training, and experience.)
- Experience managing contracts, finances and budgets; knowledge of MS Excel preferred
- Strong organizational skills and previous experience with complex programs.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively, with an ability to function effectively in an inter-cultural environment
- Previous experience as a trainer or teacher in such areas as: leadership, community service, dialogue & diversity.
- Previous experience developing and implementing monitoring and evaluation plans.
- Experience as a mentor. (Previous experience guiding young adults during travel programs preferred.)
- Previous international travel experience.
- Stamina and ability to work long, active hours.
- Valid U.S. driver’s license with a good driving record.
- U.S. citizen or permanent U.S resident
In addition, the following qualifications are preferred:
- International travel experience, preferably to the Middle East and/or North Africa (MENA)
- Demonstrated knowledge of history and culture of the MENA region
- Conversant or fluent in Arabic or French
- Knowledge of the Washington, DC metro area