Program Coordinator — Kizuna Across Cultures (Washington DC)
Kizuna Across Cultures, a 501(C) (3) organization, was established in Washington, DC in June
2011 by JET (Japan Exchange & Teaching) Program alumni and Japanese individuals inspired
by the Great East Japan Earthquake. With our vision to promote meaningful international
opportunities among a vast number of young people from all walks of life, KAC launched Global
Classmates in 2012, virtual and bilingual exchange, and has connected more than 14,000
students in both countries.
KAC seeks an entry-level part-time Program Coordinator who joins our bilingual team to support
the administration of regular and new programs and grants. The Program Coordinator will
provide programmatic and administrative support in all program functions including, but not
limited to: preparation of grant proposals and reports; event planning, execution and follow-up;
filing expenses; internal and external coordination and communication. The position is also
expected to support the administration and facilitation of the Global Classmates Summit, taking
place in July and August 2023. This is a great opportunity to network in the U.S.-Japan field and
get hands-on experience in running a non-profit organization. The Program Coordinator will
report to the President.
This is a great opportunity to network in the U.S.-Japan field and get hands-on experience in
running a non-profit organization in international exchange field. This would also be a great
opportunity for a master’s degree student who benefits from remote work and flexible work
hours, while gaining experience in the relevant field. The Program Coordinator will report to the
executive director and program manager.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Strong written and oral communications skills in English
- Experience and knowledge of Japanese culture
- Knowledge of and interest in U.S.-Japan relations
- Ability to work and fulfill responsibilities in a timely manner under minimum supervision
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Authorization to work in the U.S. (non-US citizens must possess work authorization that
does not require employer sponsorship for a visa)
- Bachelor’s degree or currently working on Master’s degree in relevant field (Japanese
Studies, International Relations, History, Political Science, or area studies relevant to
Japan and Asia)
- Is an alumni of the JET Program or has an experience of teaching English to youth in
- Administrative support experience
- Experience in event planning and execution
- Experience with communications, social media, and marketing
- Business level Japanese language
- Provide administrative and programmatic support as directed by the President
- Assist in drafting grant program proposals and reports
- Create promotional materials for events
- Create and post social media and website content related to grants and programs
- Attend meetings and conferences with KAC staff and/or on behalf of KAC
Compensation and Benefits:
The hourly rate is $17 per hour for a maximum of 20 hours per week for 1 year. Normal working
hours are scheduled between Monday – Friday, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm EST, but flexible scheduling
is possible upon mutual agreement. The position is largely remote; however, we are primarily
looking for those based in the DC metro area so that the person can attend in-person meetings
and come to the DC office on average one day a week.
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to Ms. Ayako Smethurst at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Include your name and the title “Program Coordinator” in the subject line. All attachments
should be labeled “First Name Last Name_Document Title” (e.g. Jane Smith_Resume). Cover
letter should detail why you want to work with Kizuna Across Cultures, how your past
experience makes you a good fit for the position, and your available start date.
The application is accepted until position is filled.
To receive news & updates please enter your info below
To become a member click here