Contribute your skills to global peace. International Student Conferences, Inc. (ISC) is a DC-based nonprofit organization that oversees four flagship programs: the Japan-America Student Conference (JASC), Korea-America Student Conference (KASC), China-America Student Conference (ChASC), and U.S.-Japan-Korea Trilateral Forum. Since 1934, ISC’s programs have sought to empower and inspire the next generation and U.S.-Asia leaders by facilitating student-led exchange programs for university students. Through academically intensive and culturally immersive programming, ISC’s conferences seek to foster international friendships and instill in participants a lifelong dedication to openness, diplomacy, and dialogue.
Position: Program and Communications Associate
Location: Remote & Washington, D.C. (DC region preferred)
Salary Range: $35,000 – $40,000 commensurate with experience
More information: https://iscdc.org/pca2022/
ISC is seeking a Program and Communications Associate (PCA) to work in tandem with the Executive Director and ISC’s student leaders to develop effective communications materials, manage email marketing campaigns, and oversee the logistical coordination of ISC’s student-led programs.
The ideal candidate will thrive in a dynamic work environment, handling multiple competing priorities. Interested applicants should have strong organizational skills and be comfortable working in a small non-profit setting where staff members “wear multiple hats” and enjoy taking on whatever needs doing. The ideal candidate will be passionate about developing students into confident leaders. Adaptability and the ability to think creatively to find lasting solutions are key to the PCA role.
Some of the best benefits of this job are intangible. It allows regular remote work days. It involves exposure and familiarity with influential diplomatic and business organizations. The work supporting tomorrow’s global leaders is highly gratifying. It’s an excellent introduction for those interested in a career in diplomacy, non-profit governance, education, or entrepreneurial pursuits.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
The Program & Communications Associate (CEA) will report directly to the Executive Director and play a functional role in the organization that actively supports ISC’s uniquely student-run and student-led programs.
- Developing communications strategies for student leaders and staff;
- Supporting the Executive Director in researching and implementing recruitment strategies;
- Updating, designing and preparing recruitment/marketing materials for ISC and its programs;
- Utilizing email marketing tools to engage with alumni, partners, supporters, and prospective conference applicants;
- Updating and creating content for the ISC website;
- Coordinating the revitalization of the ISC website with the Executive Director and ISC Board;
- Managing and creating content for ISC’s social media channels, email newsletters, website, and blog;
- Coordinating with the Executive Director to plan and execute ISC’s U.S.-Japan-Korea Trilateral Forum;
- Overseeing logistical preparations for JASC, KASC, and ChASC by mentoring and advising student leaders;
- Assisting Executive Director with grant writing and reporting;
- Other administrative tasks as assigned.
On-the-Ground Conference Support
The PCA will travel with one of ISC’s three Summer Conferences to observe programming outcomes for reporting purposes and to ensure ISC’s programs continue to fulfill the mission and values of the organization. International travel may be required. As such, candidates should be able to:
- Travel with college / graduate students for 3 – 4 consecutive weeks (usually in July or August);
- Monitor on the ground implementation of conference programming and resolve logistical issues as they arise while maintaining a positive and professional demeanor;
- Manage budget with designated student treasurer;
- Provide Executive Director with reimbursement reports and receipts;
- Connect with key partners and supporters at conference sites;
- Ensure program integrity and that conference programming continues to fulfill ISC’s mission and values;
- Collect participant testimonials, reflections, and exit surveys;
- Ensure the physical safety and mental well-being of all student leaders.
- Enthusiastic, adaptable team player with a positive attitude;
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment;
- Strong communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills;
- Experience in social media and email marketing;
- Familiarity working as a member of a remote team, especially with team members in different time zones;
- Experience with digital-based work, especially Google Drive; digital project management and collaboration tools; and video conferencing
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills;
- Ability to multitask, take initiative, and meet deadlines while communicating progress with team members;
- Passionate about ISC’s mission and an interest in U.S.-Asia relations, international affairs, student exchange, or related;
- Bachelor’s Degree (required);
- 2+ years of experience in a professional work environment;
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States;
- New employees must either provide proof of vaccination or be granted a medical or religious exemption before starting work;
- A plus:
- Japanese, Korean or Chinese language skills
- Residing in the Washington, DC region or Eastern U.S. Time Zone
- Experience with Canva or other graphic design tools
- Website editing experience
- Experience working with volunteers organizations and/or university students
ISC team members value the flexible, fun and hard-working culture of the organization. Current benefits include:
- Generous vacation, sick & holiday leave
- Health & Dental Insurance
- WMATA SmartBenefits (only applicable to those residing in Washington, DC)
- Flexible schedule, including remote work arrangements
- Opportunity to work in an exciting coworking space (Spaces Offices at K Street)
How to Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications are reviewed and considered on a rolling basis until January 15, 2023. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.