Posted on LinkedIn by JET alum Jody Godoy who works for Reuters:
Primary Location:Tokyo, Tokyo, JPJob DescriptionReuters is looking for an energetic, ambitious reporter to cover Japan’s economy. This is a critical role for our coverage of the world’s third-largest economy, its policymakers and the Bank of Japan. This position is based in Tokyo.
The successful candidate will be able to develop sources and break news while delivering deeply reported, insightful stories that show how economic and monetary policy impact Japan’s companies and consumers.
The Japan Economics Correspondent will have a strong interest in the economy and economic policy. He or she should have the attention to detail and speed to cover fast-paced economic indicators – and the ability to deliver insightful big-picture stories, explaining complex topics to readers around the world.
About the Role
As our Japan Economics Correspondent, you will:
- Cover fast-paced, breaking news while delivering deeper take-outs
- Develop sources among policymakers and regulators
- Deliver scoops and stories that show a smart, creative approach to changes in the world’s third-largest economy
- Write in English while working closely with Japanese-language colleagues
To be our Japan Economics Correspondent, you will likely have:
- Good understanding of and strong interest in Japan’s economy
- Minimum of two or three years of journalism experience, preferably focused on economics, economic policy or business
- The enthusiasm, drive and ability to think outside the box and find unique ways to shine light on economic issues
- Fluent Japanese and excellent English writing skills
What’s in it For You
At Reuters, our people are our greatest assets. Here are some of the benefits we offer for your personal and professional growth:
- Global Career: As a global company, we can offer a truly international career and progression opportunities
- Learning & Development: On the job learning and coaching. We also have a dedicated training team focused on the continuous development of our journalists
- Benefits: We offer competitive salary packages and market leading benefits including paid volunteering days
- Perks: Work alongside Pulitzer Prize-winning journalists and a team who provide unmatched, award-winning coverage of the world’s most important stories.
Reuters is the world’s largest multimedia news provider. Founded in 1851, it is committed to the Trust Principles of independence, integrity and freedom from bias. With unmatched coverage in over 16 languages, and reaching billions of people worldwide every day, Reuters provides trusted intelligence that powers humans and machines to make smart decisions. It supplies business, financial, national and international news to professionals via desktop terminals, the world’s media organizations, industry events and directly to consumers. Reuters: The Real World in Real Time