The Japan Information & Culture Center (JICC), Embassy of Japan, is seeking a highly motivated, team-oriented individual for the position of Film Coordinator. The main responsibilities of this position include coordinating film screenings on behalf of the JICC and supporting Japanese cinema-related events such as film festivals, film series, lectures, and Q&As. Please see the Embassy webpage for more information.
The Embassy offers group health insurance coverage, paid vacation, and sick leave. Working hours are 9 AM – 5 PM, Monday through Friday with weeknight and/or weekend events several times a month (paid overtime). Salary is commensurate with experience. The minimum basic monthly salary for this position is $3,500.
Please note: Candidate must be a U.S. citizen or a U.S. green card holder. Screening will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Only successful candidates will be contacted. All candidates will be subject to background checks and security clearance.
- Research and curate both in-person and virtual film events for the JICC (including selecting titles for film festivals and series)
- Coordinate film screening agreements with distributors and event partners
- File management of events assets including film screening materials, master copies, disc media, subtitles, as well as press kits and other promotional assets as needed
- Track and analyze event attendance and feedback
- Draft emails, newsletters, speeches, statements, remarks, and other correspondence as necessary
- Respond to public inquiries about Japan
- Keep and maintain updates on news coverage related to Japan, Japanese culture, and coverage of JICC events in the media
- Assist the diplomats and other staff with administrative tasks, writing, and research
- Assist other staff in the organization, promotion, and execution of cultural events
- Other responsibilities as needed.
- Fluent in English
- Knowledge of Japanese cinema and filmmakers
- Strong public speaking skills and experience delivering presentations
- Deep knowledge and appreciation of Japanese culture
- High level of professionalism and respect
- Flexibility and resourcefulness
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills
- Highly organized and able to multi-task with varying deadlines
- Computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Team-oriented self-starter
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field
- Working fluency in Japanese
- Working knowledge in digital rights management (DRM) and copyrights/licensing
- Experience with Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop & Premiere Pro highly preferred)
- Experience with using basic HTML/CSS on a Content Management System (CMS)
- Comfortable handling raw footage or large volumes of film data & screening materials
- Experience with video transcoding (HandBrake, VideoLAN/VLC, etc.)
- Some familiarity with video compression particularly with codecs
- Some familiarity with virtual screening platforms such as Vimeo & Eventive
- Some familiarity with transcription, subtitling, and captioning
How to apply:
- Email your resume, cover letter, and a copy of your university transcript(s) (need not be official) in PDF format to: email@example.com by August 29 (Monday).
Please note in the subject line of your e-mail “Film Coordinator”.