Exhibition Preparator, Morikami Museum and Japanese Gardens (Delray Beach, FL)
The Preparator is a full-time professional position responsible for the preparation, installation/deinstallation, and maintenance of exhibitions at the Morikami Museum. This position reports directly to the Exhibition Manager and is a key staff member in a small but dynamic team, working closely with the Exhibitions, Collections, and Curatorial staff. This role requires precise attention to detail, strong communication and analytical skills, as well as the abilities to prioritize and manage multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously and to work collaboratively and diplomatically.
Specific Responsibilities and Duties:
Primary responsibilities will relate to both the permanent collection and traveling exhibitions, including (but not limited to) the following:
- Fabrication and construction of exhibition furniture and crates,
- Patching, painting, and prep of exhibition walls and floors,
- Prepare artwork for display, including matting, framing and mounting,
- Install and maintain gallery lighting,
- Install labels and vinyl graphics,
- Responsible for the general maintenance of permanent and temporary exhibitions in the Yamato-kan interpretive space,
- Responsible for organization of the Exhibit Storage Room, including monitoring supply of hardware and other materials and maintaining tools in optimal condition,
- Loading and unloading of trucks
- Participate in the development of the Museum’s exhibition calendar.
Minimum Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- BFA or BA in art or related field preferred.
- Experience with both 3D and 2D design; familiarity with audio/visual components in interactive displays,
- Minimum three years’ experience working in a museum handling and installing artwork and building exhibition furniture according to American Alliance of Museums (AAM) Standards,
- Familiarity with shop and framing tools, photography a plus, building construction and maintenance, mechanical maintenance and repair work.
- Demonstrated ability to creatively and intelligently solve complex problems,
- Flexibility to travel and/or work extended hours as needed,
- Ability to meet deadlines,
- Ability to stand and/or work on feet for long periods, lift and carry artwork and other materials weighing up to 50 lbs.; comfortable on ladders up to 14ft. high; ability to work in non-climate controlled environment,
- Self-motivated work ethic and ability to work as part of a team.
Please send cover letter and resume to: Tamara Joy at email@example.com
Submission deadline: until position is filled
No phone calls, no walk ins.
To receive news & updates please enter your info below
To become a member click here