ESL/Civics Specialist – International Rescue Committee (Seattle, WA)
Company: International Rescue Committee
Title: ESL/Civics Specialist
Salary: TBD, Part-time
Location: Seattle, WA (Temporarily remote)
IRC Background: The mission of the International Rescue Committee (IRC) is to help people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover and gain control of their future. Founded in 1933, the IRC has a presence in over 40 countries and 27 offices in the United States; the IRC leads the way from harm to home. The IRC opened an office in Seattle in 1976 and provides immediate resettlement assistance, employment assistance, intensive case management, immigration services, health and wellness programs through our New Roots community garden, and a program for anti-human trafficking.
Job Overview: The IRC Immigration provides ESL Naturalization Exam Preparation Course two days per week to help adult students build their English language capabilities and civics content.
• Prepare students for the U.S. Naturalization Exam;
• Design original curriculum and curate appropriate textbook support;
• Teach English language skills (including grammar, conversation, reading and writing, and listening/comprehension) and Civics Content (US History, Government, Traditions and Geography);
• Teach a multicultural and multilevel classroom of English language learners;
• Build relationships with partner organizations and local NGOs to develop curriculum and course marketing;
• Market course and recruit students within the local community and current IRC clients;
• Assess, track and report student attendance and comprehension progress;
• Invite participation in interactive, culturally and age appropriate hands-on activities;
• Help students become autonomous learners by take-home study habits and foundational ESL skills;
• Practice USCIS Citizenship interview techniques and skills;
• Develop supplement materials and maintain files and records;
• Assist immigration team in providing citizenship application assistance to eligible clients;
• Other duties as requested by the Immigration Team Staff Members
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Senior Program Manager for Immigration
Internal Contacts: Volunteers and Interns
• MA in TESOL or related field in education;
• Minimum of 3 years of teaching experience in an ESL learner setting;
• Strong Intercultural communication skills;
• Positive attitude and energetic;
• Patience and empathy for adult students;
• Flexibility to work with a variety of student needs and language levels.
• Virtual during COVID-19 remote phase.
• Standard office environment at IRC’s office in SeaTac; Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm, with occasional evening or weekend activities as needed. Limited flexible workplace available with approval.
• Access to a reliable vehicle to travel regularly throughout the service delivery area for partner meetings and events.