Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology
Please check out the full job description here: https://www.oist.jp/careers/education-coordinator
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
1919-1 Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa, Japan 904-0495
Division Function/Position summary:
As part of continued efforts to improve the educational environment for the children of its employees and students, OIST is seeking to appoint an Education Coordinator. The Coordinator will provide an English language arts program for foreign students enrolled in Japanese elementary schools and serve as the point of contact/liaison for families requiring information about schooling options in Okinawa.
- Oversee and develop educational support programs for families of OIST employees and students
・ Communication of currently available educational options
・ Liaison between schools and parents
・ Assist in school enrollment procedures
・ Network with learning institutions (elementary, middle and high schools) in Okinawa ・ Maintain and update schooling options webpage, including educational resources ・ Organize and host orientation seminars with local international schools ・ Monitor/update/evaluate school subsidy program
・ Collaborate with Resource Center to plan and deliver the school tours program and manage applications to local Japanese schools.
- Provide an English language arts program (instruction in reading, writing and spelling in English for foreign English-speaking children attending Japanese elementary school (OIST
・ Design and update an English language arts curriculum for 6-12-year-old children (i.e., elementary school age).
・ Prepare the learning environment by setting up learning centers and gathering/sourcing of supplies and materials.
・ Deliver, i.e., teach, an English language arts curriculum for 6-12-year-old children in the afternoons at Seaside House.
・ Assess participating children’s educational needs and progress.
・ Provide reports/progress updates to the parents of participating children 3. Participate in School Aged Program’s (SAP) Holiday Programs
・ Collaborate with the SAP Director in the design and implementation of holiday program activities.
- A teaching qualification as an elementary school teacher from an English language education system (USA, UK, Canada, New Zealand, Australia)
- Native English speaker
- Experience in the design of curricula for elementary schools
- Excellent communication skills
- Driver’s license
- At least 2 years post-graduation teaching experience
- Experience with bilingual education programs
- Leadership experience in a teaching environment
- Five years of teaching experience
As early as possible
Term & Working hours:
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5hrs per day (Multiplied by prescribed working days per month), but will need to be able to work until 17:30 or 18:30 depending on
Compensation & Benefits:
Compensation in accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
– Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
– Annual paid leave and summer holidays
– Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ ) – Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
– Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How to Apply:
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
– Letter of intent in English (and Japanese if available)
– Curriculum vitae in English (and Japanese if available)
– Copy of teaching license
– Names and contact information of 3 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Support Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1 Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
If you have any questions, please contact us at recruiting[at]oist.jp.
(replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
Application Due Date:
March 31, 2021 (Applications will be screened upon arrival)
* OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity educator and employer, and is working actively toward increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly
encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
* Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities
* Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (https://www.oist.jp).