Company: World Affairs Council of Northern CA
Title: Director of Development and External Relations
Salary: Full-time, TBD
Location: San Francisco, CA
The Director of Development and External Relations works closely with the CEO, the Chairman and other board members and colleagues across the organization. S/He will be responsible for the creation and execution of all fundraising activities pertaining to annual programs, annual campaigns and membership drives and will oversee donor cultivation activities. These include World Affairs’ signature Awards Gala, an Annual Fund Drive, an Annual Education Fund Drive and Membership Drive, as well as a few private events (online and in person as applicable) during the year leveraging the presence of recognized speakers at the organization’s programs. This person will also oversee World Affairs’ communications to members, donors and prospective donors. World Affairs has a small development team that includes this position, the CEO, the Development and Membership Associate. The ideal candidate is a self-starter with hands-on approach to this position.
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Supervises: A team that includes a Development and Membership Associate, Digital Communications Manager and two contractors.
- Create an annual development plan for individual, foundation and corporate giving with measurable outcomes to guide the development activities of the management team, and trustee leadership;
- Manage and coordinate the organization’s development efforts from trustees and major donors, coordinating and executing donor annual giving campaigns, special activities, all related communications, research and the solicitation process.
- Oversee the planning and execution of the annual Awards Gala, providing research, communication and coordination support to the CEO, the Chairman, any related board committee and other board members.
- Conceive, design and execute donor and prospect cultivation activities, leveraging World Affairs speakers and programs;
- Manage the Annual Fund campaign, including the design and execution of direct mail pieces, and other solicitation vehicles.
- Grow funding for the Education program and the annual Education Fund campaign.
- Identify prospects, conduct research and prepare background materials for the Board Chair, trustees and the CEO to support cultivation efforts and fundraising calls.
- Manage and steward relationships with individuals, foundation and corporate donors.
- Working with colleagues across the organization, develop and oversee a strategy to rethink membership and increase membership revenue.
- Plan and execute all development and membership campaigns.
- Write proposals, applications, and grant reports as applicable.
- Work with the Salesforce Consultant to ensure that the donor data and other tracking systems are properly done and current in the Salesforce database.
- Devise and execute a communications strategy for online and print collateral to attract and retain donors.
- Review and refresh development and membership policies and procedures as needed.
• Bachelor’s degree and prior 4+ years’ development experience including a demonstrated record of fundraising successes with major individual and corporate or foundation gifts.
• Prior development experience in an institution with a membership program. • Superb writing, communications and presentation skills.
• Knowledge of current fundraising trends.
• Knowledge of Bay Area foundation landscape.
• Familiarity and comfort with social media.
• Working knowledge of Salesforce highly preferred.
• Experience working with philanthropic leaders and trustees.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• A self-starter, creative, hands-on person willing to take initiative and work in a startup mode.
• Highly organized, multitasker and detail-oriented.
Competitive non-profit salary plus comprehensive and generous benefits package.
The offices are located in downtown San Francisco, near Union Square, at the World Affairs Center, a building owned and operated by World Affairs. Staff is currently working from home until offices can reopen back safely.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Please send your resume and a cover letter as an attachment email@example.com. Please include your name and “Director of Development and External Relations” in the subject line.
The World Affairs Council of Northern California is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes applications from individuals who contribute to its diversity.