The Embassy of Japan is seeking a highly motivated, team-oriented individual for the position of Diplomatic Assistant. This individual will be primarily responsible for managing the schedules and assisting the activities of Political Section diplomats, as well as undertaking some research on policy issues related to Japan-US relations and US politics. Please see below for a detailed listing of responsibilities.
The Embassy offers health and dental insurance, paid vacation and sick leave. Working hours are 9:00 am to 5:30 pm, Monday through Friday, with a 1.5 hour lunch break from 12:30 pm to 2:00 pm. There is also the once a month lunch time receptionist duty, and the occasional weeknight and/or weekend event (all qualify for paid overtime). Salary is commensurate with experience.
Please note: Candidates must be a U.S. citizen or a U.S. green card holder. Screening will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Only successful candidates will be contacted. Successful candidates will be requested to submit their background check information.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to)
- Managing the schedules and daily activities of diplomats in the Political Section
- Making appointments, develop itineraries, coordinate transportation for diplomats and guests
- Answering phone calls, welcome guests, manage supply inventory
- Performing some research regarding Japan-US relations and US politics, monitor news developments
- Helping organize receptions, diplomatic events, meetings, and seminars
- Attend think tank events and accompany diplomats to meetings and take notes
Required and Preferred Qualifications:
- Fluency in English, ability to speak/read Japanese preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment
- Teamwork, flexibility, critical thinking skills, resourcefulness
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
How to apply:
- Email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by Tuesday, June 24th.
Please no phone calls. Due to the high volume of resumes we receive, we cannot guarantee consideration of your application if the submission instructions are not properly followed.