The CAE Assistant is responsible for providing programmatic coordination for and administrative assistance to the Culture, Art, and Education (CAE) department, both for its digital/virtual and in-person programming. This position is great for someone who enjoys coordinating a variety of cultural programs and events and has experience working with multiple stakeholders both inside and outside the organization. The CAE Assistant reports to the CAE Office Manager.
COVID-19 VACCINATION POLICY: For the safety of our staff, volunteers, and guests, Portland Japanese Garden is requiring all staff and volunteers to be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus. Staff are required to become ‘fully vaccinated’ by June 30th (first shot by May 15th). ‘Fully vaccinated’ means 2 shots of either the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine, or 1 shot of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine – plus 2 weeks after the final shot. If any staff are experiencing difficulty scheduling an appointment, they can contact the Human Resources Manager for assistance.
• Work with Curator of CAE as well as CAE Office Manager in developing a series of virtual/digital and in-person cultural programs
• Coordinate with the instructors and performers to set up filming/demonstrations/performance schedule
• Work with various departments to make logistical arrangements related to a variety of CAE programs and events
• Primary staff person during filming/demonstrations/performance
• Primary staff person during in-person cultural programs (e.g., annual festivals, ikebana exhibitions, food series event) and Cultural Corner performances/demonstrations once they resume
• Assist with arrangements for various special events, including event set-up and take-down
• Assist with recurring payments to outside partners with excellent book-keeping
• Assist with reservations, travel plans, and hospitality for local and international performers, artists, lecturers, and instructors.
• Assist with general administrative tasks within the CAE department
• Other duties as assigned
• Familiarize oneself with the organization and the Employee Handbook.
• Get to know fellow staff members, developing trust, establishing credibility, encouraging teamwork, and creating an atmosphere of open, honest, two-way communication
• Serve as a role model for Garden volunteers, providing support and encouragement to volunteers in their roles across the Garden
• Maintain a high level of professionalism in manner and appearance
• Adhere to Garden Dress Code
• Bachelor’s degree (of any discipline) preferred
• Knowledge of Japan, Japanese language, or Japanese culture and gardens a plus, but not required
• Demonstrated experience in planning and coordination of cultural, educational, and arts events a plus
• Reliable, positive, cooperative, team-oriented attitude, with good interpersonal skills
• Well organized, detail-oriented, and able to multi-task
• Effective problem solving and decision-making abilities
• Intermediate level competency in using Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Must possess and maintain a current, valid Driver License
• Availability to work weekends and holidays as needed for weekend/holiday programs
• Must be able to remain in a stationary position and/or move about the Garden for several hours
• Must be able to lift up to 40 lbs
COMPENSATION & SCHEDULE
• Wage: $16.50/hour to start, with an increase to $17.00/hour after successful completion of the 90-day introductory period
• This is full-time, hourly position with 40 hours per week. Shifts are typically 8 hours (plus ½ hour lunch), Tuesday through Saturday, 8:30am to 5:00pm.
— health, dental, and vision insurance (premium 100% covered for employees)
— 401k plan (after 90 days, with 4% employer match after 1 year)
— flexible spending accounts for medical and dependent care expenses
— paid vacation, sick, and holiday time
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter, and three work-related references via email, with “CAE Assistant” in the subject line. Incomplete applications will NOT be considered. Please no phone calls or hand delivered applications. Submit application materials by Monday, May 31st, 2021.
All submitted applications will be held in confidence.